Thursday, November 8, 2007

Welcome To My World

I've decided to enter the world of blogging. (I think) We'll take this journey together and see how far we go.

If you don't know me, I am a mom of FIVE. My oldest just turned 11 and the youngest is ALMOST 2, though we still refer to her as the baby. My husband works for the cable company and often works overtime. The older kids are involved in Baseball, Softball, Piano, Saxaphone, Chorus, Drama Club, Girl Scouts and Chess Club.

I work 4 nights a week (11pm-7am) as an Admitting Associate in Labor & Delivery at our local hospital. People often tell me they don't know how I do it. My thoughts on that? I DON'T! On any average day you will find coats, backpacks, shoes and papers of all kinds thrown around the living room. Not to mention the pile of mail I haven't gotten to yet. The dining room table is usually covered with more papers, cereal boxes, and cereal bowls the kids have forgotten to put in the sink (I'm giving them the benefit of doubt here) until I clear it for dinner. If I haven't swept yet today there will be cherrios, crumbs, crayons, markers, pencils and anything else the baby may have dropped on the floor. I try to sweep at least once a day! The kitchen table...Wait, do I have a kitchen table? I'll find it someday when I am expecting guests over. It's not really that bad. Just more papers, mail and miscellaneous stuff the kids can't seem to find a place for. The kitchen sink always has dirty dishes in it except for about the first 5 minutes after I have finished washing all the dishes. It's like magic how that fills up again! The basement always has kids toys and games pulled out, and various piles of laundry which have been sorted for the wash. Can you ever get caught up on laundry? Not in my world! If you use either of my bathrooms and actually find a roll of toilet paper on the dispenser, you should buy a lottery ticket because today is your lucky day. It seems the kids prefer to keep the toilet paper roll on the sink counter. It is not uncommon to hear someone yell from the bathroom "Will someone please get me a roll of toilet paper?!?", because no one has bothered to replace the empty roll. The kids bedrooms...we won't go there, at least I try not to go there anymore than necessary. They each have clothes hampers, but they don't seem to get the concept of putting dirty clothes in them. They have toy boxes, shelves, and bins but nothing ever seems to find it's place.

Now don't go reporting me to the authorities. It's not like we live in filth. It's just with working nights, catching a 3-4 hour nap during the day, and running with the kids in the afternoon; housework often gets pushed to the side. I have 4 kids in school and all papers the school sends home come into my house x4. I usually spend most of my days off trying to get things organized and catch up on whatever housework has fallen behind. I recently had an uneventful weekend (meaning I didn't work and I had nowhere I had to be) and even my kids were surprised at how quickly the house was cleaned up when everyone worked together.

The point is my life may be chaotic most of the time and my house may tend to be disorganized, but what can I say? LIFE HAPPENS! I hope to enjoy as much of it as I can!

No comments: