Sunday, November 25, 2007

Go AWAY Santa!

Today we went to cut down our Christmas Tree. There is a very nice tree farm in Indiana we have been to once before. After you cut down your tree, they shake the loose needles off, and then bale the tree. You load it onto the horse-drawn wagon, and then you and your tree ride back to the Christmas village. There you will find a gift shop with all kinds of ornaments and other Christmas decorations. This is also where you pay for your tree. With the weather so nice today, it was a busy place. The line went all the way to the back of the store. I stood in line while Jeff's mom took the kids to the "Good Eats" barn for some treats and hot cocoa. Jeff took the tree to the truck. While in line, I had plenty of time to window shop. I couldn't help myself and had to make one impulsive buy when I found myself giggling out loud. I found a small sign that looks like it should hang on a doorknob. I think I will hang it on the railing at the stairway that goes up to the bedrooms. It read, "One thing I have learned in life is that if you want something really badly, you have to keep your room clean all week!" My kids smiled and pouted when I showed it to them.

After a small snack, we continued to walk around. They have a small petting zoo with a few young cows. You can see some real reindeer, and a few peacocks and other unusual birds. We had the dog with us, and he found all these animals and new scents very interesting. I was surprised at how well he behaved. He sniffed at the cows through the fencing, and they met nose to nose, but his tail wagged constantly. I think he would have liked to have jumped in the pen and played with them. Then we took some pictures as the kids played on a wooden train and tractor.

Finally we headed over to the wreath barn to look at the different wreaths and swags. As we finished looking there, Jeff and I were ready to leave. Katelyn, sounding very disappointed insisted she wanted to see Mrs. Clause. So we stopped by Santa's house so Kate could say hello to Mrs. Clause who had been standing outside. Next thing I know, we were in line to see Santa himself. Now I was going to skip this step today because I had caught a glimpse of Santa earlier, and lets just say he didn't look like I remembered him. He was a little scruffy looking today. But Katelyn did not hesitate to go sit on his lap and talk to him when our turn came. After she was done, Kyle went in. I kept telling the kids they could go together in the hopes of getting done sooner, but they each took a turn. Shannon and Austin looked slightly embarrassed and each offered for the other to go first. Austin graciously went and sat on Santa's lap for a few seconds while he said hello, and then Shannon. As each of them left, Santa handed them a small candy cane. Now I have been coaxing Emily for this moment for a while. Showing her pictures of Santa and telling her who he is in the hopes that his face would become familiar and maybe I could get a picture of her on his lap this year. What happened next, only a video camera could do justice to.

Kate kept offering to ask Santa for a candy cane for Emily. I didn't really want Emily to have one. So I told her no, Emily could have one only if she went in to see Santa herself. She had to earn it. And since all the other kids went to see him, I tried coaxing Emily to go too. but she wanted no part of it. Next thing I know, Santa gets up off his chair and comes walking towards us with a candy cane in his hand. Emily screamed, so I bent down to comfort her. She buried her head in my chest, wrapped her arms tightly around me and continued to cry. Santa gently offered the candy cane. I thanked him and accepted it. I tried to get Emily to at least look at him, but she would not remove her face from my chest until he was gone. Then, as quickly as she had started, she stopped crying. She took the candy cane from my hand and asked, "Mommy open?". She may not have gone in to see Santa herself, but I thought she had earned it anyway. If that Santa had approached me anywhere else besides our Christmas Tree village, I probably would have screamed and ran to hide too.

No comments: