Wednesday, March 5, 2008

An Irish Blessing

I had intended to write more this week, but as many of you know it has been a very busy week. It's late Wednesday as I am finally sitting to do my promised Wednesday Poem. In honor of Tommy Finnegan I bring you a prayer and an Irish Blessing.


God saw you getting weary,
He did what He thought was best;
He put His arms around you
And said "Come and rest".
He opened up His golden gates
On that heartbreaking day,
And with His arms around you
You gently slipped away.
It broke our hearts to lose you
You did not go alone;
A part of us went with you
The day God called you home.



May the road rise up to meet you.
May the wind be always at your back.
May the sun shine warm upon your face,
and rains fall soft upon your fields.
And until we meet again,
May God hold you in the palm of His hand.


The greatest pain a parent can ever know is the loss of a child. My prayers are with Brian and Kathy as they begin this difficult journey. I only hope it is not too long before they can think of Tommy and smile without tears.

No comments: