Friday, December 14, 2007

Moms' Night Out

I got an invitation to the 4th graders Moms' Night Out. I guess this group of moms have been doing this every December since their kids started school. I think this is the 4th year, since the kids are now in 4th grade. I know I've seen a letter before in years past, but I never bothered to go. This year, one of the moms organizing it kept asking if I was going so I figured why not? It's Jeff's poker night, so I arranged for Grandma to take the kids. She kept them overnight so I wouldn't have to rush home to get them to bed before going to work. Thanks Mom!

I have to say, I almost didn't go. Jeff got stuck working late. I had to get the kids homework done, fed dinner, changed into pj's, and packed for school in the morning. They weren't listening well at all, and by the time I dropped them off I was 15 minutes late. It just seemed like too much work for a couple hours out. But Grandma had the kids, and I told the other moms I was coming, so I went.

When I got there, I didn't see anyone I knew. I walked through the entire restaurant and bar, but could not find them. I was trying to decide whether to keep looking or just leave, when I saw 2 other moms come in. Apparently, I was the first one there! We sat and waited for the rest to arrive. In the end I think there were 9 of us. Four moms I knew, and the other 4 I didn't. The four I didn't know disappeared to the bar for a smoke and didn't return until dinner was over, so I guess I can say I still don't know them. I was introduced, and I know there names, but I'm so bad with names I'll have forgotten them by next week. The rest of us had a nice dinner. We talked about work, kids, husbands and housekeeping. It was so nice to talk with other moms and realize that we all deal with many of the same issues. After dinner we had a grab bag. I got a pretty red candle that will look nice on my living room cocktail table and a snowman ornament for the tree. By the time dinner was over, I had to head to work. I think the rest of them went to the bar. I'm not a big drinker, so I don't mind missing that part.

In the end I'm really glad I went. It was just the break I needed in what has been a very busy holiday season. Needless to say, I left in a much better mood than I arrived in. I think I might even go again next year!

No comments: